Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Not So Fun Mommy-Daughter Days

So 12 days ago my sweet Miss Ai informed me that she felt dizzy. That's okay, I told her, it's most likely because you're tired. That was Friday the 4th. Saturday, she told me the same thing,"Mom, I feel dizzy", and Sunday, the same,"Mom, I feel dizzy". Monday morning comes along and the same thing,"Mom, I feel dizzy". Enough already with the broken record! I send her to school anyway. A phone calls come that afternoon from the school nurse informing me that Aidyn had a dizzy spell, fell down, and hurt her wrist...oh, and she's running a fever too. Nice. When I picked her up she told me,"atleast I didn't fall into the toilet!" And thus begins the not so fun mommy-daughter days. Running a fever of anywhere from 99-105. Going to school, then being sent home, or not even going to school at all! Who knows, she may have to repeat the first grade all over again due to all her absences in the past week. I finally decided that enough is enough and took her to the pediatrician today, which was really quite awesome. We switched from 1960 Pediatrics to Bluefish Pediatrics-no wait, service with a smile, and a doctor who talks to you for more than 30 seconds. Here is our doctor visit pics...the nurse gave Ai a lollipop before they swabbed her nose for the flu (which was negative, thank goodness). She thought that was pretty cool. Then it was off to Quest Diagnostic to get some bloodwork done. The phlebotomist drew three vials of blood and Ai did not wince at all. She just sat and watched in awe that her blood was going from her arm, through the needle through the tube into the vials. I was bit worried as there was a little boy her age that went before her and he was crying and screaming like a girl. She did amazing, no crying or screaming like a girl...no problems at all. We joked that Leilani would have passed out for sure.

A close-up of her getting stuck. CBC with diff, CRP and ESR-hoping that all things are within normal limits.



Then off to Panera to get her favorite cheese and brocolli soup in a bread bowl, which she actually ate! We had just started eating when the phone rang and the caller ID said "Swenke Elementary". Hmmmm....Aidyn is with me so who could they possibly be calling for? Yes, my lucky lady Leilani is sick...lovely.


We quickly eat what we can't take home (like the soup) then head home to pick Nani up. At first we were making great time...then the traffic just stopped. Oh man! I am determined to get to the school because I know that Leilani would not be in the nurse's office unless she felt like dying so I did something that I wouldn't normally do. I drove off the freeway, onto the grass that separated me from the frontage road then moved about 10 yards and was at a standstill...again. With the thought of my eldest daughter in the nurse's office at school I decide to go ahead and 4-wheel it once more, popping the curve, getting partially stuck and having to rock back and forth to get past the steep and grassy slope that would get me onto a field that I hoped would take me to a road that could bypass all this stalled traffic. Boo to the big truck who dumped hazardous waste all over the road I needed to exit. I finally made it to the school. Did I leave a part of my truck in the grass? Probably. Do I care? No, because I am no longer flustered that I am sitting in traffic, I have daughter number 1 at home safely recovering, and daughter number 3 at home snoozing and hopefully recovering for the 12th day in a row. The end.




3 comments:

Sabs said...

whoa crazy driver! haha. i love it! a mom's gotta do what a mom's gotta do:) now i'm totally switching drs!!!

Dianna said...

Man! The things we do for our children... and feeling the ok to drive off road :)
I hope Aidyn gets better FINALLY!!!! And Leilani's is short lived.
And thanks for making me crave Panera... I really appreciate that.

Texasholly said...

Ha, I totally didn't know about the off-roading thing. Go Rosie! Here's hoping that your kids get better soon (and mine stops throwing up every other night)!