Wednesday, March 9, 2011

I went for a run...

...and came home to see that my backyard was on FIRE. Not really the best thing to come home to...the perimeter of the dark area was lit up in flames about 8 inches high. Can you say random?!? So the first thing I think is, "shoot, I've got company coming on Friday and my yard is on fire", then I thought, I'd better get the fire by the fence under control before the fence goes up in flames too and our neighbor's house burns down. I run to turn the hose on, it is not there so I go on a hose hunt...find it, drag it from by the sportcourt to the spicket and run to the fence, hoping to beat the fire down before it beats my fence up. Fortunately, I was successful and got part of it saturated. In the meantime, I called the office as I was having issues with getting the sprinklers on, told Mark the backyard was on fire and that I needed to have him tell me how to turn them on manually. Imagine, he is in total confusion as I am speaking rubbish about the sprinklers and a fire...I hang up the phone. Eventually the sprinklers kick on (I was doing things backwards) and the fenceline is under control. I am now at ease...

We don't know how or why it started, but are grateful that there was no real damage. The grass will grow back and if it doesn't we'll replace it. Our house is still standing and no one got hurt. It's a little easier to replace grass than a house.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad it wasn't more serious. Scary!

Sabs said...

WOw these look way worse than the cell pic. Such a super crazy story!